Schools of Hudson Township -- Education was an important issue from the time of the first settlement in Hudson Township in 1830.
Jesse Havens began the first school in Hudson Township in 1830 in one end of the double log cabin he built soon after entering land records for Sections 20 and 21. Horatio Pettit donated land for Seminary School (subscription, non-public) in 1836. Grove School followed 1856. In 1875 a two story public school was built. In 1906 a new, four room brick building was built west of the cemetery (Hudson School's current location).
In the intervening years, Hudson School has burned, was rebuilt, additions and renovations made, the last being in 2009.
One-room schools were located throughout the township, most closing in 1948 when they were incorporated into the Unit 5 School District: Union School 1840s; Oneida 1868; Skinner School 1863; Pleasant Grove 1867; Herring School 1875-1937; Kaufman and Holder Schools 1878. John Hull, County School Superintendent, reported in 1873 that Hudson Township had seven schools.
Additional information can be found in The Story of McLean County and Its Schools by William B. Brigham; The Hudson Colony by Ruth Bitting Hamm; Images of America Hudson by Judith A. Lampert and Sue Keeran; and the Schools of Hudson Township binder found in the Hudson History Room.