Past Businesses of Hudson
James H. Cox General Store
The store opened in 1851 at the corner of Front and Walnut Streets shortly after James Cox arrived in Hudson. In 1885 James turned the operation over to his sons Harry and Herbert who continued to operate the store until it burned down in 1914.
Harry Cox operated a telephone system from the Cox Store 1904 (or possibly earlier). An ordinance was adopted in 1911 for franchise to the Hudson Telephone Company.
Golden Goose Building (white building on the right in the photograph) - 113 North Front Street -- Hudson's Remaining Oldest Business Building surviving the fire of 1914 which destroyed several businesses on Front Street.
Billy May had a pool hall in the building prior to1895 (shown on the 1895 plat). Several businesses have operated there: Jack Frost's pool hall; Bert McNeilly and Hurshel Johnson's grocery store 1930s - McNeilly sold out, Johnson continued till 1958; a restaurant when Carl Burress owned the building; Burress's boat shop--he sold to Frank Lipscomb in 1971; a woodworking business; John and Rita Green's wood burning stoves -- they leased to a beautician; in 1982 Steve and Judith Lampert bought the building, operating The Golden Goose (antiques) until 2008. They remain as the current owners, renting an apartment in the upper level which has housed tenants since the early 1940s.