The Hubbard Collection
The Hubbard House
Dr. Silas Hubbard moved his family from Buffalo, New York to Bloomington, IL in 1855. The family moved to Hudson when his son, Elbert, was one year old. He built the Hubbard home on the corner of Broadway and Walnut Streets on land purchased from the Baptist Church. Dr. Hubbard became Hudson's first medical doctor. He and his wife, Juliana Frances Read, raised five children there. Dr. Hubbard closed his office in 1900 and moved with his wife to East Aurora, New York.
Elbert Green Hubbard
Son of Silas and Juliana Read Hubbard was born in 1856. The family moved from Bloomington, IL to Hudson, IL when Elbert was one year old. His formative years were spent in Hudson. He was a well-known lecturer, philosopher, and author. Important works include A Message to Garcia, Little Journeys to the Home of Good Men and Great. He founded the Roycroft Artisan Community in East Aurora, New York. Elbert Hubbard died aboard the Lusitania, along with his second wife Alice, when it was torpedoed by the Germans May 7, 1915.